Thursday, June 7, 2012

One Of Many...I'm Quite Sure!

Well, Monday was sure a fun day! We had been home not even 10 min from visiting at a friends house when I hear Garrett crying! At first, I thought he had just taken a nasty bonk when my mother-in-law picks him up and notices blood gushing out of his eyelid! What?! My sister in law scoops him up, takes him inside, and tries to examine the eye. Coming up from behind, I hear the words, "Well, Taun, let's go stitch him up!"  Did I hear correctly? Stitches?  The 3 of us load up in her car and drive to the clinic where she works.
We arrive at the clinic, Garrett just clawing at me, not wanting me to put him down on the table. Reluctantly, I had to leave Garrett in the room! They had to hold him down with a blanket and papoose board-I just don't think I would have handled that scene too well plus, I know Garrett would have done better without me in the room, so..I just left him in there! Now, that was hard! I could hear his little sobs through the door. I went and waited in Tiffany's office shedding a few tears of my own! I felt awful that I couldn't be in there and give my child some comfort. About ten minutes later, I hear a distant-and a rather sad sounding-"Mom". I instantly rush to him and hold him, give him hugs and kisses and tell him what a brave little boy he was! 
When all was said and done, Garrett ended up getting 3 stitches right below his eyebrow. Dr. Harper said it should heal up fine. It'll just leave a scar. Sad! I don't want him to have a scar!  ;)  We came home to show everyone his battle wounds and about an hour later, he was swimming and running around as if nothing had happened! Obviously, stitches and everything that goes along with getting them, won't slow him down! 
About a half hour after the Dr.'s office visit
The picture doesn't do justice! It looked way worse than this!
 His eye was just as swollen and bruised as could be!





Nothing a little swimming won't cure!











Day 2: Still bruised a bit, but the swelling has gone down a lot!


















Over the next couple of days, I was watching him like a hawk! I didn't let him out of my sight for a second! And, I kept reminding him to be careful with his eye and not to touch it! I think the stitches traumatized Mom more than it did Garrett! We will be going back to the Dr. to have them removed on Tuesday...Great. Round 2 of the papoose board....

4 comments:

Ashley said...

ssheesh! I'm so sorry about that! Kids are very resilient though and it is harder on mom when these things happen. He will be fine. And he will be the toughest looking kindergartener! He will love it. :)

Nicki Dunn said...

So was it just a nasty bonk that split his eye open? Poor kid! That would be so sad. I hope you got a sticker & the doc's too for being brave! I love your new haircut. It's too cute!
XO

Carlson Clan said...

Oh my goodness! Poor Garrett! Maybe you should've stayed and played longer at my house so you wouldn't go home to that. ;) I am glad he bounced right back but sorry you had to go through that. So sad!

Shanley said...

Awwww poor thing! That's so sad =( He's a tough little guy! I hope it's healing up okay. And I hope YOU are doing okay! Love ya Taun! P.S. You look so cute in these pictures!