Friday, August 28, 2009

Dr. Hall, Appt. #2, and a BIG scare!

Today I had my 12-13 week checkup with Dr. Hall. John and I were really excited for this appt. cause we knew we would be able to hear the heartbeat! I don't know why-but driving into the Dr's office the thought "what if there is something wrong?" was in the back of my mind. I kept telling myself that I'm just being paranoid and as soon as the thought came, it went.
As I sat there waiting, I was getting more and more excited. The nurse called John and I back where we met Dr. Hall for the first time. He left and the nurse came in again to start the process...she got out the Doppler...put it on my tummy....moved it around...(nothing)..and around (again, nothing)....and around...(still nothing)...I looked at John and panic started to set in. The nurse went and got Dr. Hall to see if he would be able to find the heartbeat...he put it on my tummy....moved it around...(nothing)...and around...(again, nothing)...and around...(still nothing)....
By this point, major panic has set in and I'm laying on the table tears streaming down my face. He kept apologizing that he couldn't find anything and immediately ordered an emergency ultrasound. Dr. Hall left the room and all I could do was just cry. I didn't realize how attached I had gotten to this little thing growing inside of me til today. I was just devastated. John kept soothing me and telling me everything was going to be ok and not to worry.
Across the parking lot, we waited to get the ultrasound. That was the longest wait of my life! The radiologist calls us back and does the ultrasound....sure enough little baby spaulding pops up on the screen just tumbling and bouncing around! With a heartbeat and everything! And we were actually able to hear it for proof! What a relief!! The reason why they couldn't hear the heartbeat in the first place was because the baby was just all over the place-rolling around and stuff like that. The radiologist took about 12 pictures just for reassurance and told us that everything looks normal-the little booger just wanted to give it's poor mom a scare! Dr. Hall is going to see me in 2 weeks just to make sure everything is still ok.
That was quite a scare and something I never want to experience again. I totally thought I had a miscarriage and didn't even know it. As weird as that sounds-I've heard that's happened before. Even though I didn't have a miscarriage-to moms out there who have...I don't know what your body went through but I share your emotions!! That was awful!
On to brighter notes: I'm 13 weeks along and my first trimester is coming to a close. Morning sickness has subsided (knock on wood). For the past two days I haven't had a headache or the feeling of nausea. YIPEE!! I give most of the credit for my morning sickness going away to Ashley who gave me ginger pills, which helped her with Hallie. Worked like a charm. They're very gross but I'd rather chew them for a split second than be sick all day!
Our baby is about the size of a peach and about 3 inches long. Comparing last months ultrasound to this months is a huge difference! It amazes me how big it's grown in just one month! We found out that we won't be able to know the sex of the baby until about October. That seems forever away! I can't wait! The radiologist did mention that the baby was really low so...does that mean boy??? I don't know-but we're excited either way!

10 comments:

Ashley said...

Glad everything is ok!

bridgetrussell said...

I am soooo glad everything is okay. Gosh, it's so easy to forget what it is like to be pregnant. I am so happy for you guys.

Blatter said...

What a releif! I really like Dr. Hall, he was my doctor before we moved!

Brett and Cherice said...

Taunya! Your post scared me! I am so so glad that little baby Spaulding is doing great:) That's awesome the morning sickness has subsided and your first trimester is almost over!!! woo hoo!!

The Boyle's said...

I am so sorry about the scare. The exact same thing happened to me. It was so upsetting and Shawn told me the same thing that everything would be okay. We waited at the office across the street for two hours. It was horrible. It is just such a relief when you finally see the little thing on the screen and hear that heartbeat. My uncle will take great care of you. He is the best around. Congrats again.

Peterson Family said...

That is so scary! Glad that baby (and mom) is okay! Also, glad that morning sickness is subsiding. That makes life a whole lot easier!

Mike, Sha, Kenna, Kate, & Garrett said...

So glad everything was okay!! Glad the sickness is over-yea!

Just the 2 of Us! said...

Glad all is well Tauns. That would be so scary! Keep the updates coming.

The Christensens said...

Taunya- I found your blog off of Alises. Hope you don't mind that I have been following it. I think that it is great that you are using your blog as a pregnancy journal! What a scare you guys had. Glad things are well and that you are starting to feel better! I had migranes and morning sickness really bad too. Thank goodness, it eventually goes away! Hang in there! Danielle

Carlson Clan said...

How scary Taunya!! I'm so glad everything is ok. And that's great that you're feeling better as you get farther along. IDK if carrying low means boy or girl because I've heard such different things from everyone. I carried Saydi lower then Weston though but that's just me! Can't wait for our girl night on the 25th!