This afternoon was scary. More than scary, I just can't find a word to describe how my afternoon went. I was changing Garrett's diaper and as I am trying to put his clean one on, he finds it hilarious to crawl away from me and get poop everywhere! So, after fighting with his kicking legs for a few minutes I gave him a little spankin (don't judge me) on his bear bottom and he started in to one of his crying fits-the one where he doesn't breath...
He crawled away from me still not breathing and I'm thinking "Ok, he should be breathing by now." "He's done this before and starts breathing on his own." I picked him up and his lips and whole entire face is just as purple as can be! His eyes had rolled back and I think he was unconscious for about 10 seconds! Panic started to overcome! I blanked. I didn't know what to do to get him to start breathing again.
Before when he's done this, I have just blown in his face which makes him gasp and then he's fine. But, that wasn't the case this afternoon. So, I started shaking him a little bit to hopefully startle him. That didn't work either. Then, I raised both his hands up over his head to get some airflow and he just stayed in that position. I honestly thought I was holding my dead baby in my arms and it was all my fault to begin with. It was the longest 30+ seconds of my life.
I don't know how but he finally came to and I just held him and calmed him down for about 5 minutes and then he fell asleep. I was so nervous that he was asleep after all of this that I was scared that he would never wake up. I kept checking on him every second.
I called my mom and sister and told them what happened and my mom came over to calm me down and she told me to wake Garrett up from his nap. I did. I hated waking him up from his nap, but I would rather take care of a fussy baby then not one at all.
He seems to be acting like his regular, happy self. I'm just hoping and praying that he won't have brain damage from the lack of oxygen. He won't, but I would have NEVER forgiven myself if he did or if he hadn't come to. Garrett, you gave me quite the scare today!
I will never yell or get mad at him ever again. Not after what happened today.
He crawled away from me still not breathing and I'm thinking "Ok, he should be breathing by now." "He's done this before and starts breathing on his own." I picked him up and his lips and whole entire face is just as purple as can be! His eyes had rolled back and I think he was unconscious for about 10 seconds! Panic started to overcome! I blanked. I didn't know what to do to get him to start breathing again.
Before when he's done this, I have just blown in his face which makes him gasp and then he's fine. But, that wasn't the case this afternoon. So, I started shaking him a little bit to hopefully startle him. That didn't work either. Then, I raised both his hands up over his head to get some airflow and he just stayed in that position. I honestly thought I was holding my dead baby in my arms and it was all my fault to begin with. It was the longest 30+ seconds of my life.
I don't know how but he finally came to and I just held him and calmed him down for about 5 minutes and then he fell asleep. I was so nervous that he was asleep after all of this that I was scared that he would never wake up. I kept checking on him every second.
I called my mom and sister and told them what happened and my mom came over to calm me down and she told me to wake Garrett up from his nap. I did. I hated waking him up from his nap, but I would rather take care of a fussy baby then not one at all.
He seems to be acting like his regular, happy self. I'm just hoping and praying that he won't have brain damage from the lack of oxygen. He won't, but I would have NEVER forgiven myself if he did or if he hadn't come to. Garrett, you gave me quite the scare today!
I will never yell or get mad at him ever again. Not after what happened today.


5 comments:
Oh Taunis how scary! You can NOT beat yourself up about it though! I don't spank my kids every day but they have gotten bare bottom spankings before and sometimes they just need it! At least that's my opinion. And trust me...you WILL get mad at him again and probably even spank him. =D But that doesn't make you a bad mom! Quite the opposite. You are a fabulous mom and are doing a great job teaching Garrett. So sorry you had such a stressful scare!
I am so sorry how scary is that. Oh please don't beat yourself up you didn't do anything wrong at all. I really hope that he doesn't do that again. How incredibly scary. Once again you are a great mom and you can't beat yourself up.
So scary!! Glad he's all right, and like the others have said, don't beat yourself up. Things happen!
That was so scary! I am glad he is ok now. Taunya, you are a good mom. Like everyone else said you can't beat yourself up about it, even though that is what we tend to do. And you will get mad at him again but you'll think twice before doing it :) He loves you and he always will no matter what. Love you!
Holy cow Taunya! That is so scary. I would have freaked. My mom says that my brother did that all the time and it scared her to death too. You did great with the situation and I'm glad he's ok.
Post a Comment